Perinatal Support Group
Sage House Therapy offers a comprehensive Perinatal Wellness program to support women and their partners along the journey from conception to birth and beyond. Parenthood is both challenging and rewarding. We are here to partner with you to give you and your baby the path to your ideal outcomes. One of the key components of perinatal mental health is community support. This can come in many forms such as a supportive partner, extended family & friends and clinical professionals. We offer our Perinatal Support groups as a way to bring women together to share their experiences and find support in an accepting and open community where all feelings are welcome. Our trained and experienced clinicians bring with them the knowledge to help educate and advocate for the needs of group participants and provide additional resources as needed.
Support Yourself & Your Baby
Society’s understanding of women’s needs during pregnancy and postpartum has come a long way in recent decades. Our values and perceptions of parenthood have also evolved: researchers have illuminated the importance of the child-parent attachment. We have come to understand how attachment can be both reinforced as well as hindered. We have also come to learn the prevalence and significant impact anxiety, depression, OCD and other mood disorders can have on this early and essential bond. Over the last 10 years, several national and international organizations have been established to advocate, educate and provide needed mental health support to mothers and families.
Sage House Therapy has partnered with Postpartum Support International (PSI) and other support organizations to educate our clinicians in the specific needs of our pregnant and postpartum clients. Our perinatal support groups offer nurturing support, education and the opportunity for connection with other women going through similar joys and challenges.
Support group participants must be 18 or older and preregistration is required. Because our clinicians are trained art therapists, we incorporate art making and creative expression into most of our support group gatherings. Our fees also help us cover the cost of art materials for each participant.
What To Expect
Our Perinatal Groups range in topic. Depending on the specific makeup of the group, our clinicians will tailor the experience to best meet the needs of the group participants.
Some of the topics covered in the Pregnancy-focused group include:
- Pregnancy, Mind & Body- psychological and emotional changes
- The shift into motherhood- expectations and challenges
- Early signs of mood disorders- what to look out for and tools to cope
- Preparing for baby’s arrive- feelings and how to manage expectations and hopes
- Preparing your supports- identifying who will be helpful on this journey and how
Some of the topics covered in the early Postpartum Group include:
- Transitioning to life with baby
- “I thought it would be different”- expectations and realities of having a child
- Challenges and feelings around nursing, feeding, caregiving of your infant
- “Who Am I?”- reclaiming who you were and owning who you now are
- Mood disorders- what to look out for and tools to cope
- Navigating the adjustment to parenthood with your partner
Some of the topics covered in the Postpartum Group (one year post birth) include:
- Adjusting to your “new” self- balancing motherhood with other aspects of life and interests
- Returning to the workplace, staying at home, (or something in between)
- Mood disorders- what to look out for one year postpartum and beyond
- Keeping the romance alive- finding time for intimacy with your partner after the birth of a child
- Honoring your “new” body- physical changes after a baby
- Self Care- learning how to find and make time for you!
Packages are available for purchase. Your first support group meeting is free of charge as we want to encourage you to try it out and make sure the group is a good fit for your specific needs.
Single Drop- In Session: $65
4 Session Package: $230 ($57.50 per session)
6 Session Package: $260 ($43.33 per session)
8 Session Package: $300 ($37.50 per session)
All support group package sales are final. All participants are encouraged to register in advance for each session date. Group sessions cancelled more than 24 hours in advance will be credited to the purchase package and available for future gatherings. No-shows and cancellations made less than 24 hours in advance of the group meeting will not be refunded.
Package balances can be used to attend all Sage House Therapy support groups, but cannot be used towards individual or family therapy sessions.
Know a loved one who might benefit from joining? Bring someone along to the group and receive a credit towards a complimentary group session.